Sunday, 16 September 2012

The Dreaded Notebook...

It seems like these days, with computers and other writing technology, that the endangered notebook is about to become extinct. OK, so maybe that's a little drastic, but it's true! The laptop or computer seems to be the only acceptable way to write for some people - not for me.

I live back in 1572 (or maybe not, but you get what I mean), in the way that I still draft everything in a notebook. My notebook is one of my most prized possessions, and one that nobody is allowed to touch. I have a radar, when someone comes near my notebook I morph into Ninja!

My notebook contains everything, from character sketches to pictures that inspire me, outlines of random scenes to climates of my settings. Everything. I have to admit, after I've planned something in rough I usually type it up and print it off, but that can be our secret (shhhhhhhhhhh).

One major point I need to make is that you need a notebook. Mine cost me 99p from Sainsbury's. My notebook goes everywhere with me, I always have it in my school bag, handbag, and I even take it to the loo (don't laugh, I get my best ideas on the bog!).

Another point I need to make is that your notebook should not, under any circumstances, be pretty. I may have covered the front of my notebook in stickers (it helps me to convince my parents that it's my diary, so they don't snoop!) but the inside is another story...

As you can see, it's pretty much a mess of scribbles and felt pen. But don't be afraid of it! Just focus on getting your thoughts down. Would you prefer to remember the best idea you've ever had or make your notebook pretty? For me, it's the former. If you can scribble down your ideas at full pelt and keep it pretty, well done you!

Picture 1: My character outlining, I did a couple of family trees as well.
Picture 2: When I was outlining 'species' and what they are.
Picture 3: Lists of names.
Picture 4: Some of my plot outlining.
Picture 5: Pictures that inspire me, I will post them on here some time soon.

Good luck with your notebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment