"Violet Eden has only ever wanted to be with Lincoln. But when he reveals a secret so powerful it could tear them apart, her world spins out of control. Then she meets Phoenix. Intense and beautiful, she is helplessly drawn to him...
Caught up in the battle between light and dark - where angels seek vengeance and humans are warriors - Violet must decide how much she's willing to sacrifice. And who she can love..."
I was on a shopping trip with my best friend and, us being book nerds, we were browsing the book shops. Nothing seemed interesting... But then I found this book. And I'm so pleased I did!
At first I was drawn to this book because I am currently writing a book containing angels, and I thought it would inspire me. But no. I was so drawn to this plot that I couldn't draw my attention away from it. The book dragged me in right from the beginning and I was helplessly drawn to it, to quote the blurb.
The book starts on Violet's 17th birthday, where she receives gifts left for her by her mother who died during childbirth. Strange things start happening, and her boyfriend-slash-friend-slash-I-don't-know-what-he-was Lincoln is forced to reveal the truth about who they both are.
What I love about this book was that that Violet didn't straightaway believe what Lincoln was telling her. It took her a long time to discover that he was right, and I think that is what made this novel seem more realistic. Often in YA Fantasy novels you see the main characters accept who they are too easily - if my boyfriend-slash-friend-slash-I-don't-know-what-he-was told me that I was some sort of Angel thing, I would definitely not believe him.
I also loved Violet. I loved the way that she didn't want to 'embrace' (become a Grigori-slash-Angel-thingy), and that she had so many plans for her life which all came crashing down after she found out who she was. Again, all too often you see main characters wanting to be *insert species* immediately, forgetting all dreams and plans they had for their lives. This also added to Violet being a very believable character rather than what I call a 'flat character' who has no dreams or goals in their lives.
I'm a bit of a sucker for a good love triangle, and this was one of the best I've read. It was set up so well, had had such a shocking twist at the end (which I will not reveal, you'll have to read to find out!).
One thing that did confuse me was actually the blurb. Since when were humans warriors? I did get slightly confused a couple of times, but despite that I really enjoyed this book!
Well done, Jessica Shirvington! You've written one of the best books I've read all year!
And to sum up:
Positives: Strong characters, realistic plot (or as realistic as it could be).
Negatives: Slightly confusing at times.
Rating:
No comments:
Post a Comment